Current:Home > MyDelaware calls off Republican presidential primary after Haley removes name from ballot -Capitatum
Delaware calls off Republican presidential primary after Haley removes name from ballot
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 16:24:14
DOVER, Del. (AP) — Delaware’s Republican presidential primary is over before it even began.
State lawmakers suspended the rules in the House and Senate on Tuesday to quickly pass legislation amending Delaware election law and allowing the scheduled April 2 primary to be called off. Democratic Gov. John Carney quickly added his signature.
Passage of the legislation was prompted by former South Carolina governor Nikki Haley’s decision to suspend her campaign. Haley submitted her withdrawal from Delaware’s primary ballot last Thursday, leaving Donald Trump as the only candidate.
However, lawmakers needed to pass a bill to recognize Haley’s withdrawal, as it came past the deadline to do so. Under existing law, there is only one week between the filing deadline and the withdrawal deadline. This year, the deadline to file for the presidential primary was Feb. 2, and the deadline to withdraw was Feb. 9.
State Elections Commissioner Anthony Albence said the rule worked better when Delaware’s presidential primary was held in early February, but lawmakers in 2011 moved the primary from February to April.
“Now that we have a much later primary and the contours of the campaigns have changed a lot, we find ourselves in a situation like this, where there is essentially no contest,” he told lawmakers.
Delaware’s Democratic presidential primary had already been called off, as President Joe Biden was the only candidate to file.
State elections official estimate that cancelling the Republican primary will save taxpayers at least $1.5 million.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Elvis Presley's blue suede shoes sell at auction
- Judge partially ends court oversight of migrant children, chipping away at 27-year arrangement
- Eagles singer Don Henley sues for return of handwritten ‘Hotel California’ lyrics, notes
- Average rate on 30
- Number of homeless residents in Los Angeles County decreases in annual count
- Prosecution rests in Sen. Bob Menendez's bribery trial
- Tom Cruise Steps Out With His and Nicole Kidman’s Son Connor for Rare Outing in London
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Prosecution rests in Sen. Bob Menendez's bribery trial
Ranking
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Arson blamed for fire that destroyed historic home on Georgia plantation site
- Missouri governor vetoes school safety initiative to fund gun-detection surveillance systems
- What to watch: YES, CHEF! (Or, 'The Bear' is back)
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Takeaways: How Trump’s possible VP pick shifted on LGBTQ+ issues as his presidential bid neared
- The Saipan surprise: How delicate talks led to the unlikely end of Julian Assange’s 12-year saga
- US Soccer denounces racist online abuse of players after USMNT loss to Panama
Recommendation
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Film and TV crews spent $334 million in Montana during last two years, legislators told
Lupita Nyong'o on how she overcame a lifelong fear for A Quiet Place: Day One
Supreme Court allows camping bans targeting homeless encampments
Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
Biden says he doesn't debate as well as he used to but knows how to tell the truth
Virginia House repeals eligibility restrictions to veteran tuition benefits
Argentina receives good news about Lionel Messi's Copa América injury, report says